Sports medicine is the branch of medicine related to the diagnosis, management and prevention of injuries and illness for active, health-conscious and/or athletic people.Orthopedic sports medicine addresses illness and injury involving the musculoskeletal system. From the long list of conditions treated at the Marshall Sports Medicine Institute, the primary ones include:
- Acute injuries, such as ankle sprains, joint dislocations, fractures, ligament tears, and injuries to the knee, rotator cuff, shoulder and elbow
- Overuse injuries, such as stress fractures, tendonitis and muscle tears
- Traumatic brain injuries or concussions
- Managing acute and chronic illnesses (mononucleosis, asthma, diabetes, etc.) in athletes
Whenever possible, conditions are treated non-operatively with appropriate physical therapy and related services as needed.
Not Just for Athletes
Sports medicine has evolved beyond treating common athletic injuries to comprehensive health care for active patients, from pediatric to geriatric. Our patients include:
- adults and children beginning an exercise program or wanting to become more active
- those seeking more flexibility and comfort to enjoy active pursuits
- amateurs and athletes wanting to achieve their personal best
- weekend warriors, who engage in bursts of activity after long periods of inactivity
- industrial athletes, who suffer from job-related repetitive motion injury, sprain, strain, tendonitis, contusion and/or fractures
- people who require physical fitness for their jobs, such as policemen, firemen and delivery and warehouse personnel
- those who are not physically active but have orthopedic issues that can be addressed by sports medicine specialists
No matter why you are seeking care, the same expertise used for competitive athletes can help you return to full function as safely and quickly as possible.
In addition to physician services, here's what we offer:
At MSMI, you can benefit from the same level of attention and expertise as The Thundering Herd, no matter what your fitness level or goals might be.